Is your home harbouring a secret menace?
16 August 2017
Your home is arguably the largest single investment you’ll ever make. But, did you realise that apart from keeping your family safe your home may also be harbouring some not so pleasant house guests……
Radon is a naturally occurring gas, you cannot see it, taste it or smell it, but it could be present in your home.
Radon produces a radioactive dust that could be present in the air which we breathe. When radon is inhaled it lines the inside of your lungs, emitting a harmful radiation that can lead to lung cancer.
Statistics show that in the UK alone, more deaths are attributed to cancer caused by Radon gas inhalation than to asthma. Each year in the UK approximately 2000 people die from lung cancer that is directly associated with exposure to Radon Gas in their own homes. Only smoking causes more lung cancer-related deaths in the UK. As Radon is colourless and odourless, deep diagnostics should be carried out using radon test kits to determine the levels of radon gas in your home. Radon detectors are placed within the main living and sleeping areas of the property.
These detectors are then sent for laboratory analysis to obtain a yearly average Becquerel level.
Fungal Wood Decay
If your property contains timber then the chances are that dry rot is potentially one of the biggest (and dangerous) problems that will confront it. Dry rot spores are omni present and it only takes the right circumstances for the spores to germinate and lead to a dry rot outbreak (Click for further information on the dry rot lifecycle)
If left unidentified and then untreated dry rot can very quickly become a serious issue. It can spread through to neighbouring properties as well as lead to serious structural damage which in turn could, in a serious outbreak, lead to the building collapsing.
Condensation is one of the most common forms of dampness found in buildings and can lead to unhealthy living conditions and mould growth issues
These mould spores can produce irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash and even in asthma attacks**.
When tackling condensation it is important to target the source of moisture in the air, this then ensures that moisture cannot grow. Improving the ventilation in a home is key to allowing moisture-laden air to exit the property quickly.
For extreme cases, Timberwise offers a range of innovative solutions to help alleviate the problems associated with poor air quality with your property.
What can I do?
As ever, our customer service team are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. You can call us on 0800 288 8660 or simply fill out our Request a Survey form.