Basement Waterproofing header image

Materials used for waterproofing

27 January 2020

The definition of “waterproofing in buildings” is the use of materials applied to surfaces such as foundations, roofs, walls and other structural members of the building to prevent water penetration. There is an extensive range of specialist products available, but what primary materials are used for waterproofing?

Type A

This type of protection is referring to barrier/tanking protection; this protects against water ingress by applying a waterproof material to the walls and floor slab of a basement or underground structure, which then quite literally forms a barrier between the structure and groundwater.

Waterproofing Slurry

This slurry, when mixed with water, is a waterproofing mortar applied straight to the building’s walls to create a waterproofing coating. The slurry is applied using a trowel or spray and can be used as a waterproof coating for existing domestic or commercial basements as well as the interior and exterior damp-proofing of basement walls in new buildings.

Type A Case Study

Post office building in London

Once an ocean of warehouses and workhouses, Stukeley Street in London is now home to many modern day commercial and retail buildings. This building in question is a large commercial building divided into offices, stores rooms, staff areas and meeting rooms.

The basement area was showing signs of flooding and the client to make the basement a dry, usable space again. Timberwise applied a tanking render system, using 3 coats of Sika 1 and a skim coat of finish plaster.

Read the full case study here

Type B

Type B Waterproofing is an integrated waterproofing system in the property/structure, and is usually found in new build properties. Ordinarily the functionality of a Type B waterproofing system is established at the waterproofing design stage and integrated during construction using waterproof concrete with a batch additive and integral water bars.

Type C

Type C Protection allows moisture or running water to penetrate through the external wall or floor of the structure and travel behind the membrane in a controlled drainage system.

Cavity Drain Membranes are studded on the external-facing surface, allowing any water that penetrates the structure to flow into designed drainage channels. The drainage channels then carry any water ingress to either a sump and pump chamber or away from the structure if passive drainage is possible.

Cavity Drain Membrane

This impermeable high-density polyethene or polypropylene membrane with 2mm, 4mm, 8mm and 20mm studs form a cavity when fixed to the wall and floor and is a vital component in a type c waterproofing system.

Perimeter Drainage Channel

Designed to divert water to an external drainage point, the perimeter drainage channel is hidden away and placed at the wall-floor junction. The drainage channel

Sump Pump

A sump pump is placed in the deepest part of the basement, this sump basin collects the water entering and the pump then removes the collected water to the external drainage point. The job of a sump pump is to direct water away from the property, to a place where it is no longer problematic, because of this, the pump will often be used in the basement of properties or areas where the water table is above the foundation level.

Type C Case Study

Victorian cottages in Buckinghamshire

This Victorian detached home was under extensive renovations as the client was looking to create living accommodation to suit growing family life. Timberwise worked alongside the homeowner’s architects to design and install a Type C cavity drain membrane waterproofing system.

Read the full case study here


Contact Our Waterproofing Specialists

You can trust Timberwise to provide you with the right waterproofing solution for your project. Don’t hesitate to contact Timberwise by calling on 0800 288 8660 or you can request a survey on-line. A survey through Timberwise will be able to identify the extent of the problem and determine the right waterproofing solution for you and your property.